┍━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━┑

Too Much of Something is Never Good

┕━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━┙

The phrase “too much of something is never good”, applies to so many things whether it’s food, water, clothes, etc because of how broad and universal it is. When the topic of homework is brought up, it’s viewed with dread and any emotion of unhappiness. I relate fully well as a full time college student who also works part time for around twenty-five hours a week, homework is not something I necessarily look forward to completing. That being said, I can definitely see the benefits that come with doing the assignments given by teachers. 

Homework should never be given in extensive amounts. What’s considered “a lot” can be subjective but when a mass sum of people agree it’s too much, it should shine a light to teachers or professors about the amount of homework they give. Quality over quantity definitely applies to this, distributing loads of homework on students equates to the amount of time and effort they put into it to decline heavily. Having first hand experience on receiving so much homework, I can fully well say with my chest that as my teachers increased the amount of work on me, the less I gave a crap about if the work was good or not. I simply prioritized completing the assignment on time rather than if the answers were correct or well thought out. And I will say my mental and physical  health also took a toll for the worse. I would despise a teacher for giving so much work, when another teacher for a separate class gave equal or more work to finish by a set date. Since homework also determines my grades, when I wasn’t able to finish an assignment or got a low score. The grade would be reflected on my percentage/GPA, causing me to be depressed throughout the school year. Not to mention the lack of sleep from staying up late nights to finish the work. I would constantly be tired and out of focus in class. 

You might possibly be asking yourself, “Why is she stating all the downsides of homework when her argument is the benefit of homework?” Seems pretty counterintuitive, but it’s honestly because I relate so much to how homework is bad. As much as I agree with Benson on her opinion, as I’ve grown older I’ve understood it’s not homework that’s the issue, but the amount that’s given.  Which is why the elimination of homework seems overkill. I don’t go about my day being grateful for having assignments to complete; yet, I’ve come to see the benefits that come with it, especially in college. As everyone says, college is where you find independence, teachers don’t hunt you down for you to turn in tests, finish homework, etc. You’re all on your own about your grades and future. Out of the 4 classes I have, 2 of them give homework while the other 2 don’t. At first I was overjoyed I didn’t have homework for half, but I came to the quick realization that I literally don’t understand anything going on in the classes. In order to thrive in a class, the main thing is practice and consistency with that practice. While I began practicing outside of class, a prevalent problem that came up was the material to learn and how to learn it. As a result I now also recognize the effort teachers put into making assignments, for this reason it honestly deserves praise. The assignments are straightforward into what we need to learn for future reference such as quizzes and exams. It provides enough practice with the material so that we’re able to fully grasp and remember the concepts and methods. 

The complete riddance of homework is not what I support, and neither is copious amounts of homework. Balance is the key. Students should not have to put their mental and physical wellbeing below schoolwork. Rather be given a small portion of homework so they can go through what they learned during school hours, while also having free time for their own activities. A win-win situation on both the teacher and student.